Nov 13, 2009

General Update

So, maybe you noticed I haven't been around lately...
That's because I just came back from La Plata (big city here in Arg), which is 1200 km away from my hometown, more or less...
The reason I went there is because I just enrolled in College! I'm starting on Feb 8th, and I'll be studying English Translation. We'll see if that's the career for me. (I haven't told anyone, maybe a person or two, but lately I've been having second thoughts on my career choice. I don't know what'll heppen next year, or if I'll decide to stay or change my career... I would've liked something to do with Art, maybe I'll do that later.)
For now, my goal with this is to find a job in a publishing home, o wherever, translating books! I'd love to do that :)

After having enrolled, I of course bought me some books! ;)
I found something similar to a book fair, and got:

* Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld.
* The Host, by Stephenie Meyer.
* and The Island Under the Sea, by Isabel Allende (all of these in Spanish).

I'm reading Uglies, and I'm liking it so far.

--------------
NaNoWriMo
My word count is currently of 12, 059.
But that's because I wasn't able to write for 3 days, so I'm good.

Also, I'm making covers for NaNoers! Here's the thread I started, and had over 20 submissions :) Everyone liked the samples I posted, I'd like for you to check them out and leave me a comment here telling me what you think! Covers can be seen on pages 1 and 2 of that same thread.

Well, that's it for now...

xxx,
Ella

6 monkey thought (s):

Ivana said...

Congratulations on your enrollment. Go we English translators! :) Hope you like it, if not, it's good you have a plan B.

I know you are a big fan of Isabel Allende. I haven't read anything hers so far. What would you recommend for getting to know her?

Oh, and speaking of The Host and translations...the Croatian translation is just out, the tittle is translated as Within Myself.

xo,
Ivana

Ella Preuss said...

Thanks! I know, it's always good to have a plan B.

Of Love and Shadow is a beautiful historical fiction book by Isabel, it tells the story of a love in times of the Chilean dictatorship. It's really nice, and I just love how she narrates, it makes you want to keep on reading. As much as her books may look boring they're not, maybe it'll take you a while to get used to them, but once you've read a couple you'll be searching for the rest!

Unknown said...

*still haven't read any Allende* but I'm working on that challenge, you'll see.

I vote that its always practical to get an education in a field that you can establish a viable career in, one that can take you in many directions, and translation is a field that can do that for you. You can always go back and learn the non-practical stuff later, when you have a solid basis for employment and income :o) Just my two cents!

The Book Resort said...

I am diggin' on Isabel's cover. Love it!

The Book Resort said...

Way to go! Ella, I am so proud of you.

Ella Preuss said...

Thanks guys!
I know Shes...
And I love that cover too :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog design and content by Ella Press, using elements by EMI