Mar 12, 2010

Monkey Review: Out of the Blue, by Val Rutt


Summary (from Picadilly Press):

An unforgettable story of first love in World War II

‘I'm not going to be able to see you for a while, Kitty. I have a couple of days' leave and then I'll be gone.'
Kitty felt her stomach turn. A few minutes ago, waiting to meet Sammy, she had felt giddy with happiness. Now, she felt sick with fear that she might never see him again.

One beautiful spring morning, Kitty Danby meets Sammy Ray Bailey, a handsome young American pilot stationed nearby. Sixteen-year-old Kitty and Sammy fall quickly in love and, for a few precious weeks, the future holds a promise of happiness that Kitty hardly dares hope for. But it is 1944 and a tragic incident changes everything, leading to a web of secrets and misunderstandings which will only be understood years later . . .

My Opinion:

First of all, I'd like to thank author Val Rutt for having contacted me on impulse. Great things come from acting on impulse, and I think this was one of them.

Why? Because I loved this book. The story of an impossible love. Who doesn't want to experience that at least once in their lives? I do.

From the start we're introduced to Kitty Danby, 16, who's left her home in London to go and live with her aunt and uncle in the country. This happened during WW II, where most kids had to leave the comfort of their homes to be safer.

And if Kitty hadn't moved, she wouldn't have met Sammy.

Sammy Ray Bailey, American pilot, enters Kitty's life as a rescuer, and sweeps her off her feet. The two of them immediately become friends, and later fall in love.
But what happens when one of them has a duty that forces him to go away, leaving the other one behind?

The writing style was one that's known, yet not really used nowadays. But it made complete sense. Going back and forth in Kitty's life, makes us understand the decisions that led her to where she is now. The people around her have an enormous impact on it, too. And I mean, it is big. This is one of those stories where you ask, what if?

And the ending made me go awwww! So, to me, that's what makes it a good book, one I'll remember reading when I'm older.

I wouldn't say this is completely YA, because it has Adult bits in it too. It can be enjoyed by people of all ages. (Well, 11+, really).

Monkey Rating: 3 Monkeys

Visit:
Val's website
Picadilly Press' site
Get from Amazon

5 monkey thought (s):

Tales of Whimsy said...

Nice review. I like the cover. This title is new to me.

Shweta said...

I really liked the premise of the book.. And a lovely cover too..Thanks for this review Ella..

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Nina said...

Sounds so nice and lovely. I just like the sound of the book!

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog design and content by Ella Press, using elements by EMI